If you are running a business (full time or part time) remember that people like to do business with people they like. This means that mass advertising on social networking platforms in the form of a user has little to no affect except for the purpose of being an annoyance. We affectionately call this NetBurping. NetBurping is the process of advertising and shameless self-promotion on network platforms that interrupts the flow of digital dialogues and actually getting to know the people that you may want to genuinely build a relationship with.
Here are several ways to know if your are a Social NetBurper:
- All your status updates are direct ads about your product or service.
- All of your group post are direct ads about your product or service.
- You build an email database by collecting emails from your friends and sending out email blasts about your product or service.
- You cold call your friends from your network about your product or service.
- You send out mass recruiting messages for your MLM product or service.
- You post links to your site in digital conversation that pitch your product or service.
- You join groups to promote your product or service instead of joining because you sincerely want to connect.
- You friends are not truly your friends but a result of a service you purchased to add friends for the purpose of mass self-promotion.
Social Networking Platforms have dedicated spaces for advertising products and services. Any use other than that is rude as burping loud in the middle of a networking moment. We recommend that businesses use the advertising opportunities that the platforms have available and use the networking functionality to actually network and meet people. This would be a huge benefit with “Giving People a Reason to Talk about You”